Costa Rica Surf Report and Forecast for May 2009
By: Greg Gordon – www.crsurf.com
Caribbean Coast – May generally marks the end of the major East swells, but there will still be a few overhead days. With less rain at this time of year, the snorkeling and diving options look better. There have been lots of improvement to the roads and infrastructure in the area, making it easier to access the white sand beachbreaks and reefs.
Pacific Coast – This month is my favorite of the year to visit Costa Rica. The rainy season has just started, keeping the dust down but not quite churning the rivermouths into a brown stew. And the Southwest swells start firing up from down under. Expect lots of overhead days, and look for the best conditions when high tide is mid morning. The winds stay offshore generally until about 10:30 a.m., and then usually glass off right before dark.
Full moon – May 8th New Moon – April 24th
The road from Quepos to Dominical may never be finished, but the road in town is going to be paved! After many years of planning, the dirt and cobblestone roads winding through the center of Dominical will be paved by the end of May. It will benefit the town by reducing the number of large puddles where mosquitos reproduce during the rainy season.
Taca Airlines now has flights from $208 from Miami to San Jose! (+$75 each way to travel w/2 boards) This price is for many dates throughout summer so contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get your next vacation started.
The Billabong ISA World Surfing Games comes to Playa Hermosa this July 31st to August 8th, 2009. Check out a list of our favorite accommodations, with a satellite view of their location in relation to the contest. Our budget options are as low as $60/night for two people. How about a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house in Herradura (5 km. north of Jaco) for only $700/wk.? Maybe a private jungle 2 bedroom house near Playa Hermosa for $400/wk? Or a luxury private 2 bedroom villa at Club del Sol in Jaco for six people only $3000 for two weeks? Or a mansion on the beach in secluded Esterillos Este, only $300/night! Stay in style, but you have to make reservations early. Over 40 teams are coming and it's one of the last weeks of summer for school kids.
Did you know that CRSURF is on Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter? Just run a search for CRSURF and link up to hear about the latest specials. And to see our favorite YouTube videos and Myspace friends in Costa Rica – check out www.crsurf.com/favorites.html.
Jairo Perez won the Junior Division of the Reef Classic Cambutal in Panama, held April 23rd to 25th in 1-2 foot overhead surf. Also representing Costa Rica were Gilbert and Ronald Brown, Jason Torres, Carlos Munuz, Lisbeth Vindas, and Diego Naranjo. All of them did well in the early rounds, but missed the quarterfinals by small margins. For more results, check out www.alaslatintour.com.
The final contest of the year for Circuito Nacional de Surf Costa Rica will be held behind Terraza del Pacifico in Playa Hermosa on May 1st - 3rd. This 6 star event will determine the overall champions in many categories, and also help in choosing who will represent the National Team. Also, on May 2nd, Alpha Blondy will be playing at Hotel Docelunas in Jaco.
The Caribbean coast is organizing their own Surf Association to better prepare young surfers for competition nationally and internationally. The next contest will be on May 9th at Playa Cocles. CR Surf Travel Company is one of the sponsors for the event. For more info, contact Beto by e-mail (email@example.com) or call him at 8885-9688 for more details.
The Jaco Surf Association is holding an event the 15th-17th of May called TIENDA–a-TIENDA, tagteam layout with 12 surfshops teams competing for the title of best team. For info contact Chuck at WoW Surf Shop by email or call 2643-3844.
Project Green Jungle has set a goal to raise $1,500 by May 19. They have been given an amazing opportunity to build a facility within the reservation of the Bribri indigenous. This will only cost $1500 for a complete traditional Bribri build out. Please help us out if you can, our ongoing water tests, biosurveys, and cultural programs will be able to be facilitated much easier with a facility here. To learn more about the goal or donate, go to www.greenjungle.org.
Pura Vida Health owners Holly and Andrea are SUPER excited to let you know that Saturday, May 2nd, the community BEACH FAIR is ON! So much talent, handicrafts, art and delectable foods can be found within our diverse community. People from all over the world and from so many cultures need a place to come together and share their works, products and energies....... WE'VE GOT JUST THE PLACE! Pura Vida Health organic market and Witch's Rock Surf Camp are collaborating with vendors of all facets to create a fun filled day of good music, good food, good products and GREAT people; and if it could get any better... BEACH FRONT! Contact them with any questions or inquires. Booth space available to ANYONE (no matter how small or large your product, cause, business or inventory). firstname.lastname@example.org, 8829-0240 or 8398-8705
3 Day Music Festival on The Osa with Costa Rica’s Best Rock, Blues, Classical, Reggae and World Musicians all donating their performances to play at RainforestAid09 this June 19-21st. Don’t Miss; Evolucion, Akasha, Gary Hoey, Kingo Lovers, Nancy Buchan, MudCat, Igni Ferroque and Manuel Obregon Performing Simbiosis on Sunday June 21st. RFA09 is raising awareness and funds in support of the Osa. Join them at Camp Rugged Seahorse on Leila’s farm in the small village of Amapola (25 min North of Puerto Jimenez). Camp on site or stay at one of the areas hotels, or eco-lodges in Puerto Jiminez or Uvita. Saturday is family and kids day with fun activities planned and local job fair. Don’t Forget - Fly on Nature Air for ½ price between June 15 - 25th. Promo Code (rainforestaid09). www.natureair.com. For more details go to www.rainforestaid09.com.
- Check out the limited-time specials for up to 30% discounts at Costa Rica Surf Charters! (Be sure to say you saw them on CR Surf)
- From WitchsRockSurfCamp.com - Buy ONE get ONE free May 2 - 9 and May 9 - 16! They have only a couple of rooms left for each of those weeks. Be it that this is your first time down here or you are on your 10th trip to WRSC, you can't let this deal pass you by! (mention CRSURF for this special rate) And TWO spots are still available for the Costa Rica / Panama guided surf tour May 6-16. The cost is $2,000/person and includes all hotel accommodations, breakfast/lunch/dinner daily, surfboard rental, daily guided tours by land and boat to the best waves in Central America. This tour is led by Joe Walsh in the 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 truck. This trip is going to be epic.
- The CRSurf Shop now has ECO-friendly HEMP boardbags for sale from WaveTribe. Check them out, and buy one to save a slice of the earth. As always, Free shipping in the continental U.S.
- Every time you purchase from www.ECOPAPER.com you can use the discount code - CRSURF - to receive 5% off your order. They have envelopes, sketch pads, notebooks, and writing sets with paper made from mango, banana, hemp, or coffee.
- We have T-SHIRTS!! Only 100 have been printed, and now only 75 are left. We are donating $3 from each shirt sold to the Surfrider Foundation, Boarding for Breast Cancer, and the Dominical Lifeguards. The Men's shirts are made from a 50/50 recycled plastic and cotton mix. The Women's shirts are Gildan soft cotton. Buy one here!